
By Carmelo Garcia – Local Democracy Reporter
A playing field, which was closed last year after reports of moles bringing asbestos up to the surface, will reopen next week as investigations have concluded the risk to human health is “very low”.
The Valley Playing Field in Chalford, near Stroud, was closed to the public in July last year, after what was believed to be asbestos was seen on the surface of the field.
Chalford Parish Council said at the time that potential cement bound asbestos was being brought to the surface and the site was closed as a measure of precaution to allow further investigation.
Members said they were not aware of the presence of the asbestos “until the mole activity started bringing material to the surface”.
Prolonged exposure to asbestos can cause a rare but serious and incurable lung condition called asbestosis.
However, the parish council announced this month that it was “relieved and delighted” to report the public health risk is very low and plan to open the site on August 28.
The investigation results have been reviewed by the environmental health team at Stroud District Council and determined that the playing field is a “category 4, the lowest level of risk”.
“The closure of the field during these lengthy investigations has been frustrating,” the parish council said in a notice issued last week.
“After many years of doubt and supposition about the presence of asbestos and associated risks, we are now in a position of certainty.
“We know that asbestos containing material from Fibrecrete was used to level the site in 1946.
“Chrysotile (white), crocidolite (blue) and amosite (brown) asbestos lie beneath the surface.
“Chrysotile is present at the surface in molehills but the level of fibre release is of no significant risk of significant harm.”
The parish council went on to say in the notice that it has bought a new mower that will reduce levels of airborne fibres and hopefully displace mole activity.
Work is expected to take place next week and the playing field should reopen to the public by Friday, August 28.
Green Party councillor Tricia Watson, who represents Chalford at Ebley Mill praised the parish council for “doing an excellent job in being thorough and making sure that it is safe to reopen”.
“It has been a great combined effort between the district council and contaminated land specialists chasing the consultants,” she said.
“I’m aware it took rather longer than anybody wanted it to but it’s the right result.”
